Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ordinary movies for the extraordinary mind...


Somewhat inspired by my bloggy buddy Steve's series of posts on movies that have fallen through the cracks http://booksteveslibrary.blogspot.com/ , I have decided to start a series of overlooked movies myself-- mine will pertain to movies that are wonderful, but only to the right people...

My first entry is 'Six-String Samurai'. I once described the movie to someone as, "a slightly comedic, post-apocalyptic cold war rock 'n' roll samurai spaghetti western with just a touch of 'Wizard of Oz', a dab of 'Road Warrior', a pinch of 'Devil went down to Georgia', and a heaping helping of 'Lone Wolf and Cub''. My synopsis was "In 1957 the Russians nuked America and the only city left standing was Vegas... 'The King' ruled LOST Vegas for 40 years, and after his death many guitar carrying warriors vied for the throne, including one wearing black horn-rimmed glasses named 'Buddy' who is as gifted with his sword as he is with his guitar. Along the way our hero gains a tag-along orphan boy reminiscent of the wild child from 'Road Warrior' and the two of them make their way to the promised land".
I know what you are thinking now (all three of you reading this)-- you are thinking, "HOLY SHIT!!! I gotta see this!", and you are right... that is the one's of you I know are reading this. Your tastes are eclectic enough that you would probably appreciate such a film. I'm not so sure about the rest of the world though.
The film stars Jeffrey Falcon, a talented martial artist with Brad Pitt looks and a definite screen presence all his own. Unfortunately Mr. Falcon (I love saying "Mr. Falcon"-- that is what Bruce Willis' character says in 'Die Hard' when it's edited for TV... "Yippee Ki Yay, Mr. Falcon" allowing his mouth movement to roughly match up with what he actually said when badly dubbed) has chosen to not make any films in the intervening 10 years, and all his prior film work was in obscure Hong Kong cinema. Equally unfortunate, the film only received limited theatrical release and didn't even come close to making back it's $2,000,000 investment. It has since found a small cult following on video and DVD though.
This movie (as wacky as it may sound) is as varied as it is fun. It certainly pays homage to several genres and hardly has an original moment in it, but it manages to tie together what would be a jumbled mess in most any other film. At two million dollars it was a low-budget (though hardly shoe-string) picture that makes the most of what it has to offer. The directing, editing, cinematography, score, soundtrack, characters, sets, etc. are all masterfully done.
As with most films focusing on the journey of a determined character, you stand behind Buddy hoping he succeeds, but unlike most of those films, Buddy isn't exactly a likable fellow-- but you like him anyway.
I used up all my pretty words when I pasted my previous description of the movie, but I definitely recommend it to some of you. The ones of you who can look past what seems to be silliness and see what lies beneath. A fun little movie that tries to do no more than entertain and succeeds at much more.
Do any of you have movies that you think are wonderful, but you know while watching them that you are probably in the minority? I don't mean bad movies that you enjoy for being bad, but good movies that have a limited appeal...

5 comments:

MSC said...

I'm one of those people who think this sounds like an awesome movie. I'll have to track it down!

Lisa_mynx said...

I had a feeling you might...

Anonymous said...

I saw it an own it. though I feel rather dumb that it wasn't unil the third or fourth time I caught on that Buddy is Buddy Holly.

Lisa_mynx said...

shame on you...
glad you like the movie though, whoever you are

Booksteve said...

Great movie!