Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My review of the Robot Chicken Star Wars Special DVD part 1



Bear with me here because this is my first attempt at a "real" blog. You'll notice that I tend to go off on tangents, love to put things in parentheses, am not big on paragraph breaks, am notorious for 'run-on' sentences and generally just ramble on, but I do usually get back around to what I was saying...
usually

For my first actual blog (am I the only only that thinks that word sounds like someone retching?) I thought long and hard about what the subject would be-- perhaps something dealing with comic books or cartoons or comic strips, or old TV shows, movies, radio programs, science-fiction, toys or any of the other geeky stuff I am into, and I decided to do a movie review (since movies/DVD's are my main passion). I considered doing one on one or more of the movies I had seen in the theaters recently like 'Zohan', 'Love Guru', 'Hulk', 'Indiana Jones', 'Hellboy 2', 'Wanted', or 'Hancock' (of which, 'Hellboy 2' was the only one I didn't actually enjoy), but I couldn't think of anything particularly interesting to say about any of these films that hasn't already been said by 10,000,000 other bloggers, which if you would like to read, I'll wait.................
Ok, you're back. Instead, I decided to review a DVD. There presented another question: what DVD(s) to discuss? I have a personal collection of around 6,000 DVD's (Bow down before the DVD Queen), mostly movies, the rest being TV shows, cartoons, documentaries, etc. I am constantly adding to my collection, BUT I rarely buy new stuff (as in new releases) because A) most new stuff is crap, and B) I tend to not hurry to pay $20 for a DVD that will cost 5 bucks a year from now... Whenever I think about how much money I could have saved over the years by waiting a few months to buy DVD's, I die a little inside. Good lord, I'm rambling...
On occasion though, there are DVD's that I can not wait for at all-- I'm right there at Wal-Mart Monday night after midnight waiting for the new releases to be stocked, sometimes even opening the boxes myself because the employees aren't as eager to stock the shelves as they should be (not that they have a reason to be eager, but I digress-- you'll get used to that). My most recent "must have" DVD was the 'Robot Chicken Star Wars Special'. I LOVE 'Robot Chicken'-- I started watching it when the first episode premiered on Adult Swim and religiously watched the first season-- no matter what I was doing at the time, I dropped it to run to the TV (even sex was interrupted a time or two... but you guys aren't interested in that, are you? too bad). I was instantly in love with that show (even though I held and still hold a strong resentment to it for reasons I may explain later... no, they aren't sex related, you pervs). Week after week I watched it, even MULTIPLE airings of the re-runs. Bought the first season on DVD and dove headfirst into season two on TV... but eventually I tired of the constant re-runs and long periods between new episodes, so I became less religious with my viewing-- I still watch it if I catch it on, but even now I still see the same 3 or 4 episodes every time I watch it. I did purchase season two on DVD and am awaiting season three which is coming out soon to buy. I saw several commercials for the 'Star Wars' Special and was interested, but somehow missed it every time it came on (even though they have aired it 47 times a day for the past year), so when the DVD release was announced, I was excited. I ran out that Monday night, opened four boxes of DVD's before I found it (attention Wal-Mart: label your damn boxes better).
Well, this is turning out to be ridiculously long, and I have only gotten to the part about buying the stinkin' thing-- I think I will do my review in a part two, so

TO BE CONTINUED...

2 comments:

Booksteve said...

Not only do we both have a tendency for parenthetical asides but I once rather infamously (back in high school)wrote a run on sentence that went for a paragraph and a half! Don't ask. My English teacher was not amused.
Good luck! Have fun! Ramble on! It's all good! Oh, and great googlie mooglies girl, GET SOME SLEEP!

Lisa_mynx said...

Sleep? Not familiar with that word